Call for Applications
Bayimba Foundation and the Festival Academy, an initiative of the European Festivals Association, are accepting applications for the 18th edition of Atelier for Young Festival Managers event that will take place in Kampala, Uganda, between 7th and 13th August 2021.
This call is designed for emerging festival managers or those who have ambitions to get involved in festival programming. The seven-day program will bring together 35 festival experts, artists and cultural activists from all over the world to share ideas on the artistic aspects of festival management.
The mentors and guest speakers at the workshop are renowned festival directors, cultural activists and artists, as well as individuals operating in different fields of action such as the politics, social work and technology.
The program is funded by the Creative Europe program of the European Union.
The workshop program will look at the following areas:
- Different models of curating, focusing on building audiences or communities, innovation, the impact of festivals, fundraising (beyond subventions) working with new technologies.
- How festivals are or can be agents for social change and social cohesion.
- How and if festivals can contribute to strengthening (European or even global) identities and values and tackle rising nationalism.
- Fair international collaboration (and trade) including the UNESCO 2005 Convention for the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions.
- Festivals and migrant/refugee communities.
- Sustainable festival-making on all levels.
- Freedom of expression and the relevance of artistic boycott.
- What are the burning questions and vision that move you in your ambition as a festival maker? What do you urgently want to discuss and share with your peers?